Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Guest Post From The Little Canvas

Hey gals!  Today's guest post is from Alaina at The Little Canvas.  I was really excited when she agreed to do a post for me, because her nail art is so awesome! If you aren't following her, you should be!  Lets see what she did for today!


Hi there!!!  Alaina here from The Little Canvas taking over Tuxarina for the day!  For those of you who do not know me, I am kind of obsessed with nail art.  I rarely, and I mean rarely, wear a simple manicure.  Each month, I select a Nail Artist of the Month so I can let others showcase their designs and I can get a little break.  Back in June, Kelly was the Nail Artist of the Month and came up with an amazing post!!  If you haven't seen that manicure yet, you need to click here and check it out!  It's such a pretty water color manicure with striking black paint drips.  I knew right away that when Kelly asked me to come over here and do a guest post for her, I wanted to do something similar, kind of like an "Inspired by Tuxarina" post.

I sat down to do the manicure, and I thought “oh I’ll do a gradient with black paint drips!”  I tried it on one nail, liked the look, but thought that it was too similar to what Kelly did.  Then, it hit me, a manicure I always loved, but NEVER had the courage to attempt it.  That manicure: galaxy paint drips, which I first saw on Coewless Polish.  I saw this manicure last year and was completely stumped.  My nail artist mind could not figure out how she got this look, therefore I stared at the manicure, sighed, and wished some day I would be able to do them myself.

Now that I’ve been nail arting (is that even a term?) for awhile, have some new tools, I thought, why not attempt them.  I couldn't be happier that I did!  Let’s take a look!!





Colors Used:

  • Base
    • Ulta – Snow White
  • Galaxies
    • Zoya – Storm
    • Sinful Colors – Cream Pink
    • Color Club – Eternal Beauty
    • Sinful Colors – Endless Blue
    • INM – Northern Lights
Neat, right?  Loveee how they turned out!!!!!!  And guess what, they were super easy!!!!  For my galaxy nail, I used two coats of Zoya Storm, which is the best polish ever for galaxy nails.  It is a black polish with tiny holo glitter flecks which look like dozens of little far off stars.  When it was dried, with a make up sponge, I sponged on some white polish where I wanted the galaxy to be.  I then used Cream Pink to start filling in the galaxy, followed by Eternal Beauty, and a few dabs of Endless blue.  I then topped it off with INM Northern Lights to add more glittery holo goodness.

The paint drip nails were a tad trickier, mainly because you had a much smaller area to work with.  I started with a base coat of white polish.  When that was dried, with my nail art brush I used Storm to paint on the galaxy drips.  I ripped up a make up sponge into small little pieces and created the galaxies doing the same technique I did on my galaxy nail.  In a few spots, I went over onto the white polish, but thought “eh I’ll just cover it up with white polish.”  Well, I was wrong.  When I went back with the white polish, it looked rather messy and uneven, so I grabbed Storm and outlined the galaxy drips.  I’m so happy I did this, because I love how it looked!

What do you think?  Love, hate?

I want to thank Kelly again for being the June Nail Artist of the Month, and inviting me to take over her blog for the day!  If she never did, I wouldn't have been inspired to do a paint drip nail, or gained the courage to attempt one such as this!

If you want to see more of my nail art, you can follow my blog, or find me on FacebookTumblrInstagram, and Twitter!  Hope to see you all soon, and thank you again, Kelly!!!!

~Alaina


Omg!  Alaina, you have outdone yourself!  These are truly awesome.  I love that you were inspired by some of my work too, it tugs at my heartstrings! Haha!  Thank you so much for doing a guest post for me!
-Kelly

6 comments:

I always love to read the comments and see what people think! Thanks so much for doing so! :)