Monday, April 15, 2013

OPI Lights of Emerald City + A New Gradient

Hello guys!  So, last week was the Spring Fling Challenge and the last day happened to be a day for water marble or gradient, depending on what you wanted to do.  I ultimately went with water marble, but I had done a gradient design as a back up.  This is that design.  I actually used a different technique this time.  I just was not happy with my past gradients.  I watched a few YouTube videos and looked at a few different blogs. I settled on the technique that involves the make-up sponge with the nail polish painted right on it.  I used Essie Lilacism for my base then took Butter London Fiver and Butter London Jasper for the gradient colors. I did put just a little more Lilacism on the sponge to make the transition a bit smoother.  At first, it wasn't really working, but I persevered and moved forward.   I needed a little more polish on the sponge than I had originally thought.  The end result, I think, turned out great!  I topped it all off with OPI Lights of Emerald City and the colors looked great with it!  Lights of Emerald City contains white square glitter and iridescent medium squares.  The base is a little thick and the squares can take some fishing at times, but it looks great!  I really like this one.  I did get a few bubbles due to the thick base of the OPI.   My right hand looked even better than this one because I had really gotten the hang of it by then.  This sponge technique allowed for easier transition of colors that by previous ways of doing gradients didn't.  I'm so glad to have found a way that works for me.  Gradients are some of my favorite nail art!
 

What do you guys think?  How do you all do your gradients?
-Kelly

18 comments:

  1. Seriously sooo gorgeous! The gradient is AMAZING ! And the glitter makes it pop. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how a true gradient should look! You definitely tell where and how the colors transition, and not a stark change from one to another. It's pastels...so you can't go wrong in my eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! I feel so good now haha!

      Delete
  3. This looks so awesome! I love how the glitter turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful gradient, so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is lovely, i adore the pastel soft colors, and that crazy modern top coat. I think you did an amazing job with the gradient, it is so neat and colors really mix on each other super well. I, as you know, did my first gradient for Spring Fling, and it totally is not so smooth in transitions (can you give me tips?), but yeah, my "thecnique" was withn the dishwashing sponge so..I've also used sometimes cotton-fiocs to make the finishing touches, as I did for my easter mani. I am starting to love them. Which other thecniques do you know/love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would try a softer sponge next time..a makeup sponge works great and you can get the triangle ones at most drug stores..I dabbed a few times as well to get a more opaque coloring! Email me if you want to know more! :)

      Delete
  6. So pretty! I love how it looks like watercolor art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PRETTY! I love the gradient, soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post will help the internet vіeωers for setting uρ new blog or еven a blog fгom
    ѕtart to enԁ.

    Ѕtop by my homеρage simply click the next internet site

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo, love the colors you used! So pretty <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this mani! It's so soft and pretty! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read the comments and see what people think! Thanks so much for doing so! :)