Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Color Crossed Hounds tooth Pattern

Hi ladies!  I have some awesome nail art for you all today!  I mostly have every Sunday and Monday off of work and I have been trying to do some of my more time consuming nail art then.  I have been wanting to try out hounds tooth pattern for a while now.  Its a classic pattern that can be spun to be just that -classic- or funky.  I love designs like that.  The ones that allow you to be simple yet so fun at the same time, are the best designs to do.  Especially on your nails.  I used Illamasqua Cameo on my pointer and middle fingers and OPI Alpine Snow on the rest of my nails.  I'm just going to squeeze in here that Cameo has an amazing formula with great pigmentation.  For the black, I used acrylic paint.  I had watched quite a few YouTube videos and looked at a whole bunch of pictorials for this pattern.  Surprisingly, hounds tooth looks complicated, but isn't.  I started out with the technique where you draw lines down your nails in black and block them out with white to make squares.  However, I found that to be not so great for me.  So I started over and free handed 9 squares on each nail.  I started with the squares in the middle, so that I could judge where to put the others.  The you extend the squares corners on one end, and make lines on the side corners of the square to complete the pattern.  Sound complicated?  Yea it does, but I promise you its really not.  The design is also a bit squished on my pinkie, something to remember for next time.  I'm thoroughly pleased with the end result.  I went beyond my comfort zone with this and did the whole thing free hand.  It feels good to have completed something so tedious and have it look great in then end.  This design also reminded me of my need for new nail art brushes with smaller tips.  Anyone have suggestions for me?
 
How do you gals like this design?  I kind of want to do more with more colors!!
-Kelly

12 comments:

  1. You really are magical Kelly! It almost looks like a stamping or something! I would love to see how it looks with crazy different colours, even a neon skittle! This would have suited perfectly our spring challange for the patterns of fashion task too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yea I thought about doing this for the challenge!

      Delete
  2. When I saw the photos I thought "stamping" then I read the post and you did this FREEHAND!?! You're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You freehanded those? Daaamn qurl!~ Talent right there <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flippin amazing!! Is houndstooth wonderful? And it's totally not as complicated as it looks! You've inspired me to try this again and of course in bright neon colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes do it! I can't wait to see yours!

      Delete

I always love to read the comments and see what people think! Thanks so much for doing so! :)