Friday, May 4, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Day 13 Animal Print

Happy Friday!

So, uh yeah, wow.  It's been awhile since we've done a 31 Day Nail Challenge post.  When we started on it, we decided it'd serve as inspiration for our nails.  We never started it as it's meant to be:  One challenge each consecutive day.  We did a challenge a few times a week... then it dropped to about once a week.  Now it's been a few weeks since we've done one at all.  So we're getting back into the swing of things!

Day 13....Animal Print!

Jaclyn's Nails

So, I feel mostly to blame for us falling off the bandwagon with the challenge.  It was all because of this animal print challenge.  I was just sort of dreading it.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I mean Kelly's animal prints are sweet and always look good.  I'm not always so good free-handing designs.  My konad skills are even worse.  Then, animal print just isn't my thing.  I've seen tons of designs and color schemes that look awesome around the internet and on Kelly's hands.  But, I dunno, it's just not my personal style.  I kept thinking maybe I'd go a different route and try the feather nails or attempt fish scales of some sort.  Those count as animal print, right?  I even was thinking of replicating my cat's coloring on my nails somehow (I'm nothing if not a crazy cat lady).  But, I kept going back to leopard.  I've seen so many great leopard nails, I just wanted to take a shot at it and see how mine could look.


Then I came up with this.  I wanted something subtle and more neutral:  Monochromatic grey and silver leopard spots!  I started with a base of Zoya Dove.  Next, I made random splotches using Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Dangerous with a medium-sized dotting tool.  Then I took a small dotting tool and made uneven silver lines around the dark splotches using Butter London Diamond Geezer.  I googled around for some tutorials.  A lot of them described making "C" or "U" shapes.  I ended up really liking how this came out.  Simplified and subtle color scheme was the way to go for me.  I actually think this would look a little nicer with white spots instead of the dark grey.  Next time, I guess.


Kelly's Nails

I really love leopard nails, and I've been wanting to try out some cool color combinations.  For these, I used a base of Essie Blanc with Essie Mint Candy Apple and Zoya Goldie.  I also just used my dotting tools for this.  I wanted to experiment with my new Models Own nail art pens, however, there seems to be a learning curve to them.  Plus my black one keeps leaking?  Like just oozing with no control.  I'm afraid it might be defective which is seriously disappointing because they were a tad on the expensive side (for me, at least).  And also they took forever to get here (across the pond!).  I had splurged because the reviews were so good.  It's really too bad.  I'm not sure how I feel about these nails, though.  I like the funky color combination, but I think I need to use my smaller tool next time.  Also, some practice on the leopard.  I think they look more like amoebas.  So I guess still animal print??  I did these nails before I had done my leopard/red mani, the latter turned out way better.  I used all smaller tools there so it worked out. 


What's your favorite animal print?  Do you go all-out and crazy for a fun color combo, keep it simple, or somewhere in between?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to read the comments and see what people think! Thanks so much for doing so! :)