Friday, March 30, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Day 11 Polka Dots

Happy Friday all! Wow we seem to be kinda slacking on this! Sorry,continuing on with the challenge... It's Polka Dots!

K's Nails

I know last time was gradient, but I saw this post at Chalkboard Nails.  I was dying to try it and put my own into it.  I thought about doing more of a color thing, but I just used Essie Blanc and Essie Licorice.  I had a little trouble doing the gradient white over black.  The black kept bleeding through so I waited until the first gradient layer dried and added another.  Then I used my dotting tools to do the dots.  I also followed the link to the gradient tutorial in her post and realized I did my gradient all wrong.  I always started at the bottom of the nail and worked my way to the tip.  It worked a whole lot better when I started at the tip of the nail.  It seems so obvious now! Funny how things can fly over the head like that!  This manicure also seemed to catch people's eye. I work in a coffee shop part time and when I would hand people their receipts I would get "Oh wow whats on your nails!?".  That must mean a good mani!


J's Nails

I was excited for this challenge.  I love polka dots on nails!  They're so cute and easy to do with dotting tools.  I had a busy couple of evenings this week so I didn't have time to do this all in one go.  I didn't mind since I wanted to test out a polish from our recent haul.  So I started out with two coats of Essie Absolutely Shore, and I added Lynnderella Attitude Adjust-mint to my ring fingers as an accent nail.  I really loved it by itself.  It's such a lovely pale green pastel.  


Then the next night, I added the polka dots.  I used the largest end of my dotting tools with Ulta Plum Perfect to do these giant polka dots all over each nail.  This was such a fun color combo, and the large dots looked really cool!  I just loved this mani and actually kept this one on for a few days.  I thought the Lynnderella on my accent finger would add a little something extra behind the polka dots, but it just looks a little weird.  Like, before the polka dots it was really subtle and cute.  But once the polka dots were there, it was too subtle behind the crazy big dots to really notice the glitter.  When I do polka dots again, I'll just stick to plain colors or something more noticeable.  Ultimately, I really loved this one!  The bold fuchsia dots, extra large, on top of that sweet pastel green really did it for me.

Anybody give polka dots a try?  What'd you do with yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to read the comments and see what people think! Thanks so much for doing so! :)