Tuesday, February 7, 2012

31 Day Nail Challenge: Day 1 Red

Hello!

So to get started writing posts for this blog, we are beginning with the 31 Day Nail Challenge.  We've seen a lot of nail bloggers do this one, but we first saw it here.  After all the holidays have come and gone, we were having a hard time finding inspiration for our nails.  So we decided to do the challenge together.  But since we're just using it to serve as our inspiration, we are going to follow it loosely, not doing a new challenge every single day....maybe more like once or twice a week.

The first day on the Challenge is Red.  So here's what we did:

J's Nails

K and I recently got the whole Essie Spring 2012 collection between the two of us.  So I've been anxious to test out my new colors.  I decided to use Ole Caliente for my Red Challenge.  I've seen this one described as a very coral red.  Although, I have to say I wasn't totally sold on the color based on the swatches I've seen.  On my computer, it always looked like a bright red, similar to the Essie Lacquered Up that I already have.  Once on my fingers, this is definitely a bright coral red in person!  It's such a great bright coral-red that will be awesome for Spring and Summer.  Aaand, unfortunately I didn't snap any photos of my nails with only this color on.  Sorry.

Even though I ended up really liking this color, I didn't want just plain painted nails for the challenge.  I wanted to something a little special to them.  So I put a coat of Essie Shine of the Times over top.  It looked good, but I thought it'd be even better matted.  So I topped it with Essie Matte About You to complete the Essie-Trifecta-Red-Nail-Challenge!!


For some reason, the wonderfulness of the Shine of the Times matted isn't coming out good on camera.  But, it seriously looks sweet!


K's Nails

For my red nails, I used Essie Lollipop.  I, too, did not want just plain red.  It needed some spicing up!  I ended up putting Lynnderella Connect the Dots.  If you haven't used any Lynnderella polishes- DO SO.  They are awesome homemade glitters made by Lynnderella herself.  Seriously, they're beautiful! You can find them here.  When I first did my nails, I did two coats of Lollipop then added a coat of Seche Vite fast dry top coat.  After that, is when I decided it was too plain.  I got a little lazy and didn't add a top coat over Connect the Dots, sorry! My glitter eventually started to peel off after day one, the bigger pieces catch on things.  So, always, always, always use a top coat over glitter!  However, it wasn't until the next day I noticed some MAJA shrinkage on my right pinky nail.  Only on one?  I don't know.  Im not even sure if the shrinkage is due to the Seche Vite (its rumored to do that) or from the Lynnderella.  I've included a picture to show you guys.



















We hope you like our nails!  ...Next up in the Challenge is Orange!

What do you guys think?  Have you tried any of these polishes?  Have you had any weird, random nail shrinkage?  We wanna hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to read the comments and see what people think! Thanks so much for doing so! :)